Calaveras Masonic Lodge No. 78
Calaveras Lodge No. 78, circa 1890. Freemasonry may well be one of the world's oldest, and largest fraternities. Freemasons believe in the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man.
A Brief History of Calaveras Lodge No. 78
The organizational meeting of Calaveras Lodge No. 78 was held in the home of Captain Moses Thorpe at Fourth Crossing. Fourth Crossing is located South of San Andreas, between San Andreas and Angels Camp.
Dispensation was granted by:
M : . W : . William H. Howard, January 24, 1855.
Garrett Garretsee, Worshipful Master - Joiner
S. S. Abott, Senior Warden - Paddler
Moses Thorpe, Junior Warden - Miner
Nelson B. Jenks, Treasurer - Joiner
Horace Austin, Secretary - Physician
J. D. Davidson, Senior Deacon - Miner.
The Calaveras No.78 Lodge building has been used for many different purposes in its history that began way back in 1855. In its 161 years of existence it has been a High School for Calaveras County back in 1904 through 1928, to becoming a Bank, while also serving as the housing for many companies that have come and gone in it’s over a century and a half period. Today it houses two business and the Calaveras No.78 Free and Accepted Masons. The building is truly a beautiful structure that has stood the test of time. Contact us or give us a call if you are interested in finding out more about our Fraternity.